Friday 16 December 2011

COUNTABLE vs UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS!!!!



Countable
(use a/an or a number in front of countable nouns)
Uncountable
(there is no a/an or number with uncountable nouns)
An Orange / One Orange
Rice
I eat an orange every day.
I eat rice every day. (not I eat a rice every day.)
Add (s) to make a countable noun plural
There is no plural form for an uncountable noun
Oranges
Rice
I eat an orange every day. Oranges are good for you.
I eat rice every day. Rice is good for you.
A bicycle= Bicycles are fun.
To make uncountable nouns countable add a counting word, such as a unit of measurement, or the general word piece. We use the form "a ....... of ......."
An elephant=Elephants are large.
Rice=a grain of rice

Water=a glass of water

Rain=a drop of rain

Music=a piece of music
You can use some and any with countable nouns.
Some snakes can be dangerous.
I don't use any computers at work.
You can use some and any with uncountable nouns.
I usually drink some plain water with my meal.
I don't usually drink any water with my carbonated drink.
You only use many and few with plural countable nouns. 
So many tigers have been hunted that they are an endangered species.
There are few elephants in England.
You only use much and little with uncountable nouns.
I don't usually drink much tea.
Little coffee is undrinkable though.
You can use a lot of and no with plural countable nouns. 
No cameras were bought last week.
A lot of cameras were reported broken the week before.
You can use a lot of and no with uncountable nouns.
A lot of water is drunk by the patient.

No water is drunk by her during fasting period.

No comments:

Post a Comment